- Make your own gifts: Buying gifts for Christmas can be a very expensive affair. The best way to save your hard earned dollars is to make the gifts yourself rather than purchasing it. The idea is to be creative and you will be surprised at the amount you save up. Baked cookies, preparing chocolates at home or hand-made woolen stuffs are just some of the ideas which you can consider to celebrate a frugal Christmas.
- Plan the expense for the dinner: Planning out the cost of the dinner will prevent you from overspending. Calculate the number of guests that you are inviting and plan the menu accordingly. A great idea is to ask the guests to share in the preparations. This will split the cost of the meal among the guests and the dinner won’t take a toll on your limited budget.
- Budget your celebration: List out your planned expenses within your affordability so that you can avoid hardships later. This will help you to save money before the festive season so that you don’t have to buy gifts on credit. If you find that your expenses are exceeding your budget then you can look for some other alternatives.
- Try frugal decoration: Keep the decoration theme simple so that it doesn’t take a toll on your pocket. This is a good time to pull out your old Christmas decorations and decorate your house with the same. How about using the old cards? Trim them in a pattern from the sides and hang them on the walls or windows. Use colorful wrapping paper to wrap up some empty boxes and pile them up in the centre of your table. Be innovative and you will be sure to weed out unnecessary expenditure.
- Cut the shopping spree: You can always curb your expenditure by sticking to your budget. Frugal Christmas shoppers always finish under budget .You can try out dollar stores or local discount stores where you can purchase things at a discounted rate. A lot of people donate stuffs to thrift stores in December to get an end of the year tax deduction slip. Thus, it is a good time to visit these stores, too.
Stick to these points this year and you can be sure to celebrate a frugal, yet wonderful Christmas. Hosting Christmas on a tight budget is not difficult, all you need is a little determination and you can be sure to set an example that the value of this festival is not replaced by a commercial overkill!
Filed Under: Budgeting